Facilities and Services

1. Aboriginal Cultural and Support Services

Aboriginal Cultural and Support Services offers a diverse range of services, providing academic support, personal counselling, and cultural programming.

Career counselling includes information on University programs, assistance in course and program selection, and advocating for students with professors, the Office of Admissions and Recruitment, the Office of the Registrar and University administration. Academic tutoring in course content is offered through the Learning Assistance Centre; workshops on time management, essay researching and writing, study skills and computer tutorials are also available.

Personal counselling is offered by the Counsellor of Aboriginal Cultural and Support Services, and assistance is provided in linking students with other University services and agencies within the City of Thunder Bay as required.

Cultural activities such as periodic Feasts and Pow-Wows are held in conjuction with the Native Student Association. Elders from different cultural groups are brought to campus regularly to pass on traditional teachings in various classes and special workshops.

For assistance and more information on the services offered, the office can be found at Room RC 0002A in the basement of the Student Centre in the tunnel near LUSU offices. Telephone 343-8084.

2. Office of Academic and Career Advising

The Office of Academic Advising provides academic assistance to first year students, those in undecided or general programs, or those thinking about making changes in their academic program such as changing faculty or major.

The Office of Academic Advising is dedicated to helping students in understanding the structure of the University and in realizing the various resources available to them. The office accomplishes this mission by: guiding students to encourage confident and independent action, and by establishing and maintaining productive and co-operative relationships with faculty, parents, and students alike.

The Office of Academic Advising provides year round services such as:
- advising as to which credits are transferable when changing majors or faculties within Lakehead University
- help in interpreting and using program guides
- advice regarding changes to registration and or schedules
- evaluation of courses for QECO and OSSTF (education certification) letters
- information and explanation of university policies, procedures and deadlines

The Office of Academic Advising may be contacted by e-mail at: advising@lakeheadu.ca. The Office is open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with extended hours during peak times. Assistance is available through drop-in and booked appointments.

3. Campus Stores

The Bookstore, located in the University Centre, carries the prescribed textbooks, support materials and supplies for all courses offered, as well as a wide range of magazines and general interest books.
We also offer a special order service in the Bookstore. If at any time you need a book that is not available, please utilize this service.

Regular hours -

Monday,Thursday, Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Wed. - 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Summer hours -
Monday - Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Extended hours for September, January and May will be posted.

Campus Tech is located in the Braun Building and offers several different lines of microcomputers, computer software, supplies, and peripherals.
Hours of operation are:
Monday - Friday - 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

The Intersection, located in the Student Centre, offers a large selection of quality clothing, gifts, and personal items.
Hours of operation are:
Mon. & Wednesday - 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tues., Thurs., & Friday 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

The Junction has a variety of snack items and a full retail postal outlet.
Hours of operation are:
Mon. - Thursday - 8:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday - 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

4. Chaplaincy

The Chaplain is available to the whole university community regardless of religious denomination. The main types of issues Sister Alice attends to are personal, spiritual direction, addictions, grief, and family issues. Workshops, seminars, memorial services, as well as other religious services can be requested. Everyone is invited to attend weekly Eucharistic Celebrations at Avila Centre. Appointments may be made with Sister Alice Greer through the Chaplain's Office at 343-8002 or the Office of Academic Advising at 343-8018.

5. Childcare

The Nanabijou Childcare Centre is located in the Prettie Residence on Lakehead University campus.
This licensed day care centre can accommodate thirty-one children between eighteen months and five years of age. In a warm and friendly atmosphere, qualified staff provide a fun and exciting program to encourage social skills as well as promote physical, emotional and cognitive development at each child's own pace.

Nanabijou Childcare Centre operates from 8:00 a.m. until 5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday and is open all year round.

To register your child, or for further information please call (807)-343-8369 or write to:
Nanabijou Childcare Centre
855 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 5E1

6. Emergency

The Lakehead University Emergency First Response Team (LUEFRT) is a student-run, volunteer service which operates on an on-call basis 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week throughout the academic year. Radio dispatched through the campus security department, the LUEFRT can arrive within minutes to provide pre-hospital emergency care and first aid to the students, staff, faculty and visitors of the Lakehead University Campus.

7. Financial Information

The Financial Aid Office is responsible for the administration of all forms of financial assistance for undergraduate students at Lakehead University. The office administers the University's scholarship, award and bursary program under the direction of the Senate Undergraduate Scholarships and Bursaries Committee. Information is also available on other forms of financial assistance such as:

Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
Ontario Work Study Program (OWSP)
Ontario Special Bursary Program (OSBP)
Child Care Bursaries (CCB)
Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD)

For further information and application forms, call (807) 343-8206 or visit our website at:

Students who may be experiencing financial difficulties or have concerns regarding their financial situation are encouraged to see one of the Financial Aid Officers. There may be alternate options available that they can suggest.
For more information and application forms regarding financial assistance, refer to the Financial Aid to Students section, pages 343-386.

Recommended Funds Required
(for each academic year)

See 2006-2007
fee schedule

Books and Supplies (depending on program)


Living Expenses:
(approximate - based on residence fees -2005-2006 double room rate)


Local transportation


Miscellaneous (entertainment, personal needs, laundry, dental/prescription, gifts, snacks, clothing, stationery, stamps, etc.)


TOTAL (Living Expenses)
(Canadian Dollars)


+ COST OF TRIPS to permanent residence

8. Health and Counselling Centre

The University's Health Centre is located in the University Centre building (UC 1007). It is staffed by a Registered Nurse - Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - during the academic year. Male and female physicians offer daily clinics.

Provincial or international health coverage is required for medical services. (Note: The student union's (LUSU) health plan is for prescription and additional health services - students should contact LUSU for particulars about this plan.)

Ontario Health Coverage
All Ontario students entering Lakehead University should already be in possession of a valid Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card. If a student does not have a card, he/she should apply for one immediately, since it is required to access health services in Ontario. Application cards are available at the Ministry of Health offices at 435 James Street S (where a student must apply in person for the card and must bring multiple pieces of indentification); no premium is required by Ontario residents.

Out-of-Province Students
Out-of-province students require valid proof of their "home" province's health insurance plan in order to access health services in Ontario. Students should ensure they have this proof prior to entering Lakehead University, since proof is required to access health services in Ontario without charge. Quebec students may incur charges for laboratory tests - students should check with Health Services for details.

International Students
International students entering Lakehead University should report immediately to the International Student Office to enrol in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), which is mandatory before registering in their courses of study. Canadian medical costs (physician visits and hospitalization) can be very expensive, often imposing an extreme financial burden. Therefore it is imperative that international students have health insurance to cover these potential costs. Applications are available in the International Student Office.

Medical Certificate Policy

The intent of this policy is to place responsibility for class attendance and achievement upon the student. Course requirements and class attendance are administrative matters between the student and professor or instructor. Health Services staff do not have the authority to excuse students from their classes.

Circumstances in which a Medical Certificate WILL be issued:
In situations where a current serious illness or injury results in a significant disruption of academic or practical work and where the student has seen the physician at the time of the illness or injury.

Circumstances in which a Medical Certificate WILL NOT be issued:
Disruption of academics due to minor illnesses; missed labs and classes; and assignment extensions due to a short-term illness. This should be dealt with between the faculty member and the student.

Counselling Services are located in the University Centre Building UC1007. Counsellors are available to provide confidential, personal counselling. Individual counselling in the areas of anxiety, depression, procrastination, self-esteem, abuse, addictions, relationships, eating issues, and stress are common areas where counselling is offered. Personal workshops are presented during the academic year. Our website can be found at: www.lakeheadu.ca/~healthserv/ or e-mail at: health&counselling@lakeheadu.ca for further information.

Career Interest Inventories are available to assist students with exploring their likes, dislikes and indifferences in various occupations. For further information or to make an appointment please contact us at (807) 343-8361.

9. Insurance


The University does not carry any form of personal accident insurance. Students are responsible for any medical or hospital costs they may incur as a result of an accident on or off campus. Those students who are not covered by medical and hospital insurance plans are strongly advised to cover themselves with some form of accident insurance (see Health Services). All students who participate in athletic activities are required to have adequate insurance coverage.


It should be noted that the University does not carry insurance on personal property of any member of its staff or students. It is recommended that if a student has any articles of value in the University, he should contact his insurance agent and see that such articles are insured.

10. Learning Assistance Centre

(a) Academic Assistance
The Learning Assistance Centre is available to help all Lakehead University students with their academic studies. Available services include study skills seminars; individual and small group tutoring in the actual content of courses; workshops on writing, documenting and formatting essays and other major papers; and assistance with individual essays. A lending library of English and Mathematics reference books is also available. These services are free of charge. Contact the Learning Assistance Centre at 343-8047 or e-mail at: lacentre@lakeheadu.ca.

(b) Services for Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Learning Assistance Centre for information on available services. Contact the Learning Assistance Centre at 343-8047 (voice), 343-8906 (TTY) or lacentre@lakeheadu.ca (e-mail). Accommodations are provided on an individual basis, and must be supported by appropriate documentation. Accommodations may include alternate format textbooks, notetakers, tape recorders, computers with assistive technology and individual arrangements for tests and examinations.

11. Ombudsoffice

The Ombudsoffice at Lakehead University is an impartial, independent and confidential support service provided to ensure that students and members of the University Community receive fair and equitable treatment. The Ombudsperson deals with a variety of issues and complaints, and provides information for both academic and non-academic concerns. The primary objective of the Ombudsoffice is to ensure all University members' rights are protected and that all individuals are dealt with in a fair and equitable manner.

Telephone: (807) 343-8061 or 343-8018
E-mail: acolosim@lakeheadu.ca
In Person: UC 2060 (beside the Student Placement Centre)

12. Parking Facilities

Parking of motorized vehicles on the University campus is governed by the current Lakehead University Traffic and Parking Regulations. Copies of these regulations and applications for parking permits are available at the Security Office (UC-1016) or at the Security website at www.lakeheadu.ca. Parking permits are required between September 1st and August 31st.

Lakehead University is not responsible for loss of, or damage to any vehicle or its contents, however caused, while operated or parked on University property.

13. Psychology Clinic

The Lakehead University Psychology Clinic (LUPC) provides a wide range of psychological services for students and residents of the Thunder Bay community. Therapy is available for anxiety, depression, child and family issues, relationship issues, disorders associated with stress, or other emotional problems. Psychological assessments, consultations, and periodic workshops and therapy groups are also offered. The clinic is conveniently located on campus. The LUPC serves the dual purpose of a service and a training centre for the Department of Psychology's graduate clinical program, particularly the PhD program. All services are provided by clinically qualified faculty members or graduate interns under their supervision. Strict confidentiality is maintained at all times.

The clinic operates on a fee-for-service basis. Most Lakehead students, however, have some degree of coverage for many of the services provided. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Department of Psychology at 343-8441.

14. Student Placement & Co-Operative Education Centre

In order to provide the highest professional quality employment service to the University, students, and employers, the Centre is a combined centralized unit incorporating Student Placement and Co-operative Education/Internship operations as part of Lakehead University's Student Affairs unit.

Student Placement Services
Student Placement provides assistance to Lakehead University students, upcoming graduates, and alumni interested in obtaining permanent, full-time, contract, international, co-op/intern, summer, on-campus (Ontario Work Study Program) and part-time employment as well as volunteer opportunities. Services provided include:
- assisting students in preparing résumés, covering letters, and applications to enter/re-enter the labour market;
- assisting students in preparing for job interviews;
- advertising job opportunities by displaying positions on our online Job Bank (via http://jobs.lakeheadu.ca) and in some cases on Information Boards throughout the campus;
- collecting and forwarding student applications to employers for interview selection;
- arranging interviews by local area and national employers;
- providing employment counselling, job search information, current occupational, career and corporate resource materials;
- displaying training and employment program information, as well as Canadian and International employment information;
- marketing the on-campus recruitment program;
- maintaining extensive contacts of potential employers of our graduates;
- co-ordinating and maintaining student and employer files;
- administering pre-employment tests and/or exams as requested by participating employers.

In co-operation with the Thunder Bay Office of Human Resources Development Canada, special employment related group sessions/workshops will be arranged with a focus on current labour market trends and preparation for an effective job search.

A Student Placement Officer will be available to assist both students and employers. Students who wish to participate in the on-campus recruitment program should register with the office via the WorkopolisCampus.com website in early September. Students are encouraged to make use of the services available and are welcome to drop in between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. The office can be contacted by telephone at 807-343-8264 or fax at 807-343-8918 or by e-mail at jobs@lakeheadu.ca.

Website: http://jobs.lakeheadu.ca

Co-Operative Education Services
As defined by the Canadian Association For Co-operative Education (CAFCE), "a Co-operative Education program means a program which formally integrates a student's academic studies with work experience in co-operative employer organizations." Lakehead University endorses the definition and criteria established by the CAFCE.
Co-operative Education provides a link between the employer, student and University. Services provided include:
- marketing Co-op programs;
- recruiting Co-op work term positions, in co-ordination with the Program Co-op Advisor;
- developing employer/student contacts by acting as a liaison with parties concerned;
- assisting with the pre, during and post-work term instruction;
- assisting employers in the recruitment of Co-op students through displaying Co-op work term positions, collecting and forwarding resumes to employers for interview selection;
- arranging for Co-op recruitment interviews;
- co-ordinating Co-op work term placements;
- monitoring and counselling Co-op students;
- collecting the Co-op Work Term Performance Appraisal at the end of each work term;
- maintaining Co-op student and employer files.

A Student Placement & Co-op Officer will be available to assist both students and employers considering Co-operative Education and/or Internship Programs. Interested students should register, after being admitted, on a Co-op Work Term Registration Form which is available in the Student Placement and Co-op Education Centre. Final dates for registration and withdrawal from work terms without financial penalty are indicated in the Academic Schedule on page 7. In addition, students who wish to participate in the Co-op/Intern Program, must register with the centre via the WorkopolisCampus.com Website. Students are encouraged to make use of the services available and are welcome to drop in between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. The office can be contacted by telephone at 807-343-8264 or fax at 807-343-8918 or by e-mail at jobs@lakeheadu.ca.

See also:
University Community - University Life

Return to:
Calendar Contents


2006-2007 Calendar version