Thunder Bay • Orillia

Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology (Specialization in Gerontology) (Thesis Option) (TB)


The MA in Clinical Psychology requires the completion of six FCEs (full course equivalents) over two years of study. Students must register in the following required courses:

(a) Psychology 5151 - Multivariate Statistics for Behavioural Research
(b) Psychology 5201 - Clinical Assessment Techniques
(c) Psychology 5271 - Ethical and Professional Issues
(d) Psychology 5551 - Clinical Interviewing
(e) Psychology 5571 - Psychotherapy
(f) Psychology 5901 (9901) - Master's Thesis
(g) One FCE elective at the graduate level
(h) Psychology 5600 (9600) - Research Seminar
(non-credit required course)
(i) Psychology 5091 (9091)- Master's Practicum
(non-credit required course)

Not every course is offered each year. Typically, Psychology 5201, 5311, 5551, 5571 and 5600 (9600) will be offered every year while the remaining courses will be offered every second year. The thesis (Psychology 5901 (9901)) is worth two FCEs, Psychology 5201 is one FCE, and Psychology 5151, 5271, 5551 and 5571 are each one-half FCE.

It is expected that the average student will take two years to complete the program. In addition to the Thesis and the Research Seminar students are expected to enroll in approximately 2 FCEs per year. Students are expected to have completed the thesis proposal and submitted it for ethics approval by the end of the summer of the first year. The Master's Practicum (Psychology 5091 (9091)) will be taken in the summer of the second year of the program after students have successfully completed their MA course work (with the exception of the thesis defense).


Students admitted to the Clinical Psychology or Psychological Science master's programs may apply for acceptance into the Collaborative Program with Specialization in Gerontology. They will take Gerontology 5710 - Research and Theory in Gerontology (half course equivalent) in place of a Psychology elective; they will participate in Gerontology 5790 - Gerontology Research Seminar (non-credit), and they will do a Master's Thesis in the area of gerontology. See the Graduate Specialization in Gerontology for details.